“Carlsbad State Beach joins the popular seawall trail and is easily accessible. A parking area is located at the Tamarack Surf Beach, the heart of all the action. A diverse area where you can surf, swim, body board, windsurf, kayak, or just chill. Personally, I enjoy the diversity of the moving targets. Keeps my skills sharp…” Sandbag C. Gull
This stretch of beach offers a little something for everyone. Lots of soft sand, a rock jetty for fishing, a lagoon, decent surf and convenient free parking right next to the beach. For information on the Agua Hedionda Lagoon, click here. Or, here.
Sandbag is a frequent interloper visitor to the two aquaculture facilities at the lagoon. The white seabass research facility & the commercial mussel growing facility…
Carlsbad State Beach Slideshows
(Heading north along Carlsbad Blvd, aka: Hwy 101)
South of the Jetties at Tamarack
Tamarack Surf Beach
- Lifeguard services → if any ← varies by season, day, hours, even weather!
- Six access points on Hwy 101 [So. of Tamarack] use either short staircases or ramps
- Access main beach via vehicle ramp to parking lot, located at Tamarack Ave
- Ramp locations have handicapped parking spaces adjacent
- Parallel street parking along Hwy 101 & limited side street parking
- Dogs are not allowed on the beach in Carlsbad, leashed or otherwise
- Public shower & restrooms are at street level near Tamarack or use stairs from beach
By Car: From I-5 in Carlsbad, take the Tamarack Avenue exit & head west to Hwy 101 & the parking area.
By Train: The Coaster commuter train stops just blocks away from the beach at the Poinsettia Station, located south of Island Way on Avenida Encinas.